Thursday, August 18, 2011

Gary Yourofsky's Speech

I finally got around to watching this video. Well, let me be clear. I finally brought myself to watch this video. Lisa's Days was kind enough to leave me an inspirational comment in a previous post, and she said this video turned her from veggie to vegan. I was scared to watch it. I didn't know what to expect. Horrific slaughterhouse scenes? Screaming animals? I've seen so many videos like that, but finally I clicked the link.

It's about an hour long, and i watched the entire thing in one sitting as soon as I clicked it. It's basically a college lecture by an animal rights activist. And I stress the term "activist" because he's actually done things like breaking into labs and freeing animals. But, his rationale on being a vegan, our collective lack of compassion towards animals, and the nutritional realities of veganism are very compelling. It's impossible to argue with his points.

Towards the end of the video, he shows the students some graphic slaughterhouse and factory farm footage, about 3 minutes worth. Since seeing that, I think I've eaten meat or dairy twice. Every time I crave it or think about ordering it those images appear in my mind and I can't go through with it. He reminded me of my own compassion which I lost recently, apparently.

So, I highly recommend watching this if you're on the fence, or are looking for good talking points when discussing veganism with others. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4



7 comments:

  1. thumbs up!! amazing right? I wish he was my friend ;) haha. I love his tone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I've watched about 20 minutes so far, and while I agree with the content of what he's saying, I find the delivery somewhat arrogant and condescending - or is that just me? The holocaust comparisons also rub me the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it rubs the animals the wrong way too. But the good thing is that it is not really about your feelings, but those of the victims. "Compassion is the virtue of empathy for the suffering of others". It is not really about liking Gary or the way he talks, or the words he uses.Like you said, all it matters is the content of what he is saying. Go vegan, be compassionate and stop being part of cruelty and murder.

      Delete
    2. Okay, Jiraffe, I am vegan. I'm not part of the cruelty and murder. I have compassion, but I also reserve the right to be irritated by a raving narcissist, even if I agree with him. He opened up telling the audience when he would or would not tolerate their laughter, for chrissake.

      And given that compassion is the virtue of empathy for the suffering of others, I have to question his brand of compassion. This is from an essay he wrote, from the ADAPTT website, a group he founded:

      "Deep down, I truly hope that oppression, torture and murder return to each uncaring human tenfold! I hope that fathers accidentally shoot their sons on hunting excursions, while carnivores suffer heart attacks that kill them slowly. Every woman ensconced in fur should endure a rape so vicious that it scars them forever. While every man entrenched in fur should suffer an anal raping so horrific that they become disemboweled."

      I agree with his goals, but I'd abandon that position in a heartbeat if that's how we had to achieve them.

      Delete
    3. I already am vegan, jiraffe, but I still don't like his delivery, and I do think that's important because people are less likely to be persuaded by someone they don't find likeable - and I would really like more people to be persuaded!

      Delete
  3. I don't disagree Charlotte... but also consider the audience. And, I'm able to take the good from what he says...it's not perfect though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First video made me cry. Again. I already cried a lot watching Earthlings. Reading Eating Animals now by Foer.

    I quit too.

    It's been 7 days.

    ReplyDelete