Saturday, January 30, 2010

I love my blender

My blender is this vegan's best friend. And my friends aren't usually inanimate objects. For my blender I make an exception. It's the easiest way to get my raw fruits and veggies in for the day. It's slightly different every time, and always delicious. If I want something more sweet I add more juice. If I want something fresh and green I'll use more greens and less fruit.

Here's what's recently made its way into my juices: Rice/Almond/Soy Milk, Orange Juice, Lemon Juice, Pomegranate-Mango Juice, Cranberry Juice, Tomatoes, Bananas, Apples, Pears, Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, Frozen Pineapple, Ground Flaxseed, Spinach, Kale.

The more kale you use, the more likely it will be bright green. I made one with a pear, banana and strawberries (added to the usual rice milk and flaxseed) and it came out like a thick, yummy shortcake. If you like them cold, use frozen fruit. Personally, I prefer room temperature so it's easier to slam down the hatch.

If I have time, I'll make my juice in the morning and it's a great way to start the day (I don't drink coffee or caffeine, but it's a real pick-me-up). And I'll follow it up with wheat toast or oatmeal a bit later. Or, if I get home from work and realize I've had mostly cooked foods all day, I'll make my juice to get in my raw greens and veggies for the day.

So, thank you blender. You make it easy for me to get my nutrients. You save me time. You're easy to clean. You're the best, blender!

4 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity, do you have a regular blender, or a high-powered one (like a Vita-Mix or Blend-tech?) Love the blog, btw. I'm an omnivore slowly converting to vegetarianism,and you are helping convince me that eventually I can be vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! I'm happy to hear you're on your way to a conversion.

    I've seen the high-powered blenders in action and would love one, but for now I just use a regular old Hamilton Beach one I probably got at Target 5 years ago, kinda like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-54245-14-Speed-Blender/dp/B000GHGKTW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265347252&sr=8-5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find smoothies a great way to get in the veg as well. Have you tried putting lettuce in? It tastes better than I expected. Also, to get beans in my son's diet, I put in soaked and cooked beans - basically the taste of the fruit totally overpowered the taste of the beans and the beans made it kindof silky in texture. It was actually quite nice. And if you want a calcium boost I reconstitute dried wakame with boiling water, usually the night before, and I pour the wakame and water in the blender usually with banana, apple, frozen fruit, soymilk and stevia powder. It's actually kinda good. My husband even likes it and he thinks my healthy foods are usually disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juliette,
    I never thought to put in lettuce, but I'm gonna try it. I also find the idea of beans very interesting. It'll add a protein boost to my morning routine which I can imagine I'll like a lot.

    I'm curious, with all that fruit, why do you add stevia? I tend to be scared of processed sugars, since they seem too good to be true. Plus, the fruit is sweet enough, no?

    Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete