Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Which Milk is the best?

Michness made a good comment on my last post, and I thought the answer was worth explaining in detail. Here's my philosophy on dairy milk replacements: Mix it up. I rotate between Rice, Hemp, Soy, Almond, and Oat Milks. Some work better in particular applications. For example, hemp milk is the thickest, most milk-like of them all, so I like to use it make sauces, mac and cheese, and cereal milk. Rice milk is really thin and is best for smoothies since I like them as thin as possible.

The other major reason I mix them up is for nutrition. I'm not big on taking oral vitamins in pill form for various reasons, so fortified milks are a great way to get vitamins. However, for some reason they all have different balances of vitamins. Hemp milk is high in Omega 3s and 6s, Soy Milk is high in vitamin B12, Almond milk has a wider range of fortified vitamins. So, I figure when I mix them up I am more likely to get what I need.

Lastly, I try not to ingest too much soy, so I wanted soy milk alternatives. When I do buy soy, I make sure it's organic, since the majority of soybeans are genetically modified.

4 comments:

  1. Man! Don't forget about coconut milk :) It's so so so so SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for all the info :) i've been trying soy and really not liking it, so this is great advice. thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do get coconut milk sometimes, but it's really thin and not my favorite. However, coconut water is amazingly tasty and filled with electrolytes and potassium. It's a great post-workout drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely a great post. I think people get in a rut, a routine, with their food and that's just sad.

    To add to your list, I recommend hazelnut milk in chocolate flavor for all your chocolate milk desires :)

    ReplyDelete