Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cake at work / Lost weight?

This entry is about 2 things that have nothing to do with each other, other than they both happened on the same day.

Every once in a while it's someone's birthday in our department at work, and we'll surprise them with cake. Today was one of those days. And the cake this time was a fruit tarte with custard and berries. I always loved those things. Well, I'm going to have to get used to not participating in these social eating situations. I wasn't exactly uncomfortable, but I was missing out on the communal bond of sharing with the group. And pretty much any cake is going to be inedible for me. I'm sure this is going to happen a lot in the future, in many different settings, but it wasn't a big deal. It's no different than someone opting out for being on a diet, too full, allergic, etc. But, it was new to me. Because I eat like a horse, and would always eat cake. No more!

Later on, someone who I don't run into very often at my gym mentioned that I looked slimmer. I've noticed it a little bit, too. And I'm not trying to lose weight. If anything, I've been trying to gain some weight and muscle mass. But, I think it's part of the process of switching over. I'm going to lose weight as I shed the toxins and buildup of meat and preservatives in my system. And I imagine I have to adapt to a new diet. I've read that a lot of people lose weight when they become vegetarian. I'm going to keep an eye on it, though. Right now, I like how I look. It doesn't hurt to have my muscles more cut up. When I got home from the gym today, at 9:30, it was with a big ol' veggie and black bean burrito in hand that I put away as a second dinner. I'm trying!

And for my first dinner tonight right after work, I had a couple burritos. I stir fried some veggies (bok choy, leeks, cabbage, onion) and slapped them on top of a tortilla and beans. This is the third time I've done something like this, and it's surprisingly good. And it's even easier than when I used to make it with chicken. The veggies cook faster, I don't have gross raw chicken juice mess to clean up when I'm done.



I highly recommend cooking like this as a first step. I continue to cook the same staple foods as before, only I substitute the chicken or meat with veggies. I didn't have to buy a cookbook, or plan it out for a whole day. I just put it together quickly, no stress.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete