Monday, November 16, 2009

Parm-A-Gone

I prepared a familiar, delicious, filling dinner as soon as I got home from work: Soft Tacos. I ate soft tacos at least a few times a week in the past, and I think it'll be easy to continue doing that, vegan style. Instead of using chicken as usual, I substituted stir-fried veggies instead. And I made rice, black beans and guacamole to go with it. Yum.




As I was cleaning up, I got a knock on the door. As a thank you for giving him the last of my meat filled food, my neighbor, Jimmi James, brought me a whole bag of fresh fruit and veggies from the local farmer's market! I usually can't make it; it's on Monday mornings when I'm at work. What a thoughtful surprise!



All the support I've been getting from friends, family and and the web has been so great. It's more than I would have imagined, and it helps a lot. But anyway, he didn't leave empty-handed. The dairy products in my fridge have been extremley tempting. I had to ditch them or I was gonna crack soon. I didn't realize that it would be the dairy that would be the hardest to kick. But handing it away as I did with my meats gives it a finality to help me ignore the cravings, and accept the new way forward I've chosen. But, damn, even the parmesan had to go. Ouch.


3 comments:

  1. As someone who used to make a meal out of cheese and crackers - it was just simple and easy - I wanted to say, "You can do it!" I have been vegan for a year and a half now, and I thought I would miss cheese the most. Oddly, I hardly crave it at all. I rarely crave dairy period. It feels great.

    If you love a bowl of cereal (for breakfast or dinner), I highly recommend almond milk. We've done soy milk before, but settled on almond milk. I haven't tried rice milk yet.

    Oh, and since the holidays are fast approaching, preparing yourself ahead of time for any family events or gatherings will save you a lot of stress. My family has a hard time still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, and the support! I've never tried almond milk, and I don't want to consume too much soy. So, sounds like something good to try. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodbye nasty cow parm, hello vegan parm and nutritional yeast! Nutritional yeast is yummy, really good for you contains B12 and is not processed or made with soy. Get a B12 supplement or drink fortified vegan milks. The only nutrient lacking in a vegan diet is B12. If you eat processed vegan foods, it will be fortified with B12. However, if you are doing the unprocessed thing, you should get vegan B12. I also recommend the book "becoming vegan" it's written by a famous vegan nutritionist, Brenda Davis.

    ReplyDelete