Saturday, November 14, 2009

Goodbye Dairy. Hello Lentils.

My plan was to still eat dairy, (I mainly consume cheese, yogurt, eggs, and milk), and phase it out at a later date. Well, that date is today's date. I was in denial. I somehow justified it. But, my brother-in-law pointed out the obvious: Dairy farms are horrendous for animals. So, I'm done with that, too.

Well, today was my first trip to the grocery store with a vegan mindset. I picked up some things I have never bought before in my life. Exhibit A:



Green and red lentils, dried edamame, beet salad mix, sunflower seeds, garbanzo beans. Of course I've eaten these things before, but never cooked them at home. Now they will be staples, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. You are doing great! But I'd like to suggest that you go to the nearest Whole Foods and pick up some vegan meats, soy cheeses, soy ice creams so that you can keep the momentum going and not feel deprived. Meat and dairy (especially cheese) is sorta like an addiction for a lot of people. The vegan meats and cheeses really help with the transition. I've been vegan 15 years and I still eat all the soy substitutes.

    My fav restaurant in LA is Native Foods. They have some kick ass vegan dishes.

    Keep up the good work! I'm really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try non-dried edamame. I find it in the frozen section at my grocery store, still in the shells. It's delicious! Heat it up, sprinkle a littl salt (or not) and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the edamame, best snack ever. Also garbanzo beans are super because they can be tossed into virtually anything, cooked or uncooked.

    Even though you're cutting stuff out, you still need to indulge in something, well, indulgent, once in a while — for morale. I always laughed that the vegan place on Sherman Way, Follow Your Heart, was a greasy-spoon diner for vegans. But for you it might be a silly, but still "okay" treat.

    ReplyDelete