Monday, December 28, 2009

Report: Slippin'

I've slipped a few times, and it's only fair I report them. Here they are, in no particular order:
  • I at 2 mini reese's peanut butter cups that have been staring at me from my kitchen shelf for months. They probably have some remnant of evaporated milk in them.
  • I sampled a milk chocolate candy at Trader Joe's 
  • I drank wine that turned out to be vegan, but I didn't check before I drank it.
  • I ate refried beans in a veggie burrito that probably had lard in it. 
  • I bought bread today that has honey in it.
The bread: I tried to find some vegan bread, but it all expired within a day or two, which doesn't work well for a guy living alone. I let the poor little bees down, I suppose. Well, sorry fellas. I put my needs first. I'll do better next time.

The chocolates: Both times I knew the chocolates weren't vegan. I slipped.

The wine: I didn't even think about it since other things were on my mind.

The beans. I knew it at the time but didn't care. No excuses.

I still have been doing fantastic at sticking to the new diet, and the slip-ups are very few and far between. I can only imagine they will continue to erode as I become more comfortable and aware. Reflecting on it, I realize my slip ups required the same carelessness as eating meat and dairy. I buried the truth to satisfy myself in the moment. Some may see the above slip-ups as minor, and others major, but to me they are a reminder of how far I've come, and how far I have left to go. They are neither major nor minor, but just are.

5 comments:

  1. Uh oh - vegan wine? I'm slipping without knowing it I'm sure. How can wine not be vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - missed your Dec 17th post. Now I get the vegan wine thing - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being vegan is not about being perfect but about doing the best you can to cause the least harm. Your slip ups hardly seem like slip ups but just a margin of error all vegans have to live with (given the society we live in). It's not a reflection of you as a vegan but more of a reflection of our society and how everything is so satuarted in animal suffering. You are a great role model. It took me years of being vegetarian before I discovered half of the things you discovered in 1 month. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus, the chocolates probably weren't from fairtrade cocoa. Sorry don't want to be judgy or anything, it's just something I care about. :)

    Also, have you tried freezing your bread in batches? then you can defrost only a little bit at a time as you need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been a fan of frozen bread...but maybe I should learn to like it.

    ReplyDelete