Monday, April 19, 2010

Confessions of a Non-Vegan Roll Eater

Yep, yours truly. Those frickin' delicious dinner rolls from Miceli's that aren't quite vegan. I claimed back in February I wouldn't eat these rolls again. I referred to them in that post as "hot, fresh, gooey, crispy, delicious dinner rolls". That pretty much sums it up.

I've been back to Miceli's every other week as a little tradition. And every time I asked the waiter not to even bring them to the table. This time, I didn't catch the waiter in time, and...bam. There they were. I resisted them all throughout my meal.

But when I finished my pasta, I was still hungry. I looked at the rolls. I wasn't crazy about the idea of ingesting the dairy in them, albeit a very small amount. And I knew I had vowed to not eat them again. Then, I ate three of them. I rationalized it this way: being vegan to me means avoiding animal products by all practical means. Well, it wouldn't be very practical to throw away a basket full of rolls when I was sitting there hungry. So, I ate them, pretty guilt free. I'm still going to avoid them in the future.

I felt obligated to document this occasion. Next time I go I'll be sure to ask for no rolls, and maybe a salad to make sure I'm full.

2 comments:

  1. It's not about being perfect at it, it's about being the sort of person who will try. Take heart, and keep working at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in making choices that will help the most. I don't use meat/dairy/eggs when I cook for myself, and I avoid them when they are obvious as much as I can. But I don't necessarily read every single label for hidden ingredients, or avoid all baked goods, because I'm not sure that getting every last speck of animal product out of my diet will really make that much of a difference.

    I mean, I think it will make much more of a difference if say 10 people can be convinced to go mostly vegan, than if 1 person were able to go fully vegan. It's about the bigger picture.

    I'm not saying people shouldn't try to rid themselves completely of all animal products if they feel uncomfortable even ingesting a small amount, that's up to them. What I mean is, by presenting veganism more accessibly and less scary-exclusive-club type thing, it may catch on with more people.

    Anyway that's just what I think, I'm well aware there are many different viewpoints. :)

    ReplyDelete