Saturday, February 27, 2010

Nikes

I know it's materialistic and expensive, but a guilty pleasure of mine is sporting Nikes. And specifically, Air Max 90s. They just make me feel good knowing they're on my feet. I really like shoes.

Today I stopped by Undefeated, a small shoe store that carries a lot of limited edition and unique shoes from Nike, Adidas, New Balance, etc. I stop by now and again to check things out, but rarely actually buy anything. But, today, I was actualy looking for some shoes. And I temporarily forgot about them being made from leather until I walked in and picked up the Air Max 90s that caught my eye. These:
 
They're simple, awesome, and my favorite color combo—black and red. And they're leather. There wasn't a question of whether or not I was going to buy them. I knew I wasn't. But I just had to pause, breathe, and experience the loss. It passed quickly. Then, some Adidas caught my eye. From a distance they looked like they could be synthetic. They were also extremely awesome looking:
But, The stripes and heel trim were leather. Damn! So, I was on a mission to see if they carried any vegetarian shoes. I found a few, even a pair of Nikes, and they were all wack. The Nikes were all black and plain with a blue stripe. No thanks.

When I got home, I searched for vegan Air Max 90s. Nothing. Then I searched for vegetarian and vegan on Nike's site. Nothing. Then I clicked "live chat" on Nike's site, and immediately got some vegan suggestions from the rep. They were all hideous, but they existed. I picked out a few I had found that looked synthetic-ish earlier, and they're going to research and get back to me whether they're vegan. Pretty cool. Fingers crossed...

And note to self: Stay away from kick-ass shoe stores filled with shoes you can't buy. That's just not fun.

6 comments:

  1. I love Macbeth brand shoes - they have a vegan line that is more trendy and 'alternative' than some of the other brands I've seen. 'Simple' brand has some vegan shoes as well, but they're more of a bohemian style...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I own a pair of Onistuka Tiger shoes - they make the style vegan in addition to non-vegan - they're good for looking trendy while working out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.zappos.com/vegan-mens-shoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. SHAY,

    Thanks for the tip about the Onitsuka Tigers. Those are pretty nice looking—I might just order a pair. I also found these Sauconys on mooshoes that are pretty cool too.

    http://www.mooshoes.com/products2.cfm/ID/200/name/Jazz-Sneaker-from-Saucony/a/30

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now feel slightly weird about wearing my leather boots that I bought before the vegan thing took hold in my life. At least now I know where to go when the boots wear out.

    BTW, you won a Sunshine Award at my site http://aftertheartistsway.blogspot.com/

    That's right. You rock. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) hope you find what you're looking for! I have the Tigers in pink and green (the women's version)

    ReplyDelete